By Helen Epstein
In this strong tale of Uganda and its war-torn pals in jap and crucial Africa, journalist Helen Epstein chronicles how America's naïve dealings with African strongmen and single-minded specialise in the conflict on Terror have themselves turns into resources of terror, short-circuiting the facility Ugandans may in a different way have over their very own destinies.
More than twenty years in the past, Epstein set out for Uganda to paintings as a public overall healthiness advisor. The $20 billion in Western relief poured into the rustic for the reason that then has performed little to enhance the health and wellbeing of the Ugandan humans, whose charges of poverty, illiteracy, and mortality stay staggeringly excessive. as a substitute, a lot of this cash has been used to shore up brutal and unsafe dictatorships within the quarter. one other tremendous MESS bargains a brand new mind set concerning the crises that experience ravaged Uganda, Rwanda, Congo, Sudan and Somalia and recommend the genuine center of darkness lies now not in Africa, yet in Western facilities of energy.
Read Online or Download Another Fine Mess: America, Uganda, and the War on Terror PDF
Similar terrorism books
Counterinsurgency is a fancy phenomenon that wishes complicated solution. Any try at reductionism might be a call for participation to catastrophe. notwithstanding it's very a lot a kind of battle, and will healthy into the outline given by way of Jomini as wars of opinion or Clausewitzian wars of resistance. The examine for the current e-book was once conducted lower than the sponsorship of Gen D ok Palit and Chatrapati Shivaji fellowship of the USI.
In Britain by myself, a number of thousand younger Muslims are considered a part of violent extremist networks. How did they get involved? What are the mechanisms and dynamics wherein ecu Muslims subscribe to al-Qaeda and teams encouraged by means of al-Qaeda? This paper explains the methods wherein eu Muslims are recruited into the Islamist militant circulate.
A worthy, up to date reference instrument for knowing the most recent advancements in nationwide and foreign terrorism—one of the main urgent safeguard demanding situations dealing with the area at the present time. • greater than 500 entries on subject matters in modern day terrorism• A chronology of significant terrorist assaults seeing that 1946 • A bibliography directory significant literacy assets on terrorism • a listing of acronyms relating to significant terrorist organisations
Der Islam gilt seit dem eleven. September als neues Feindbild des Westens. Die Angst vor islamistischem Terror hat auch in Deutschland den Blick auf fundamentalistische Tendenzen in der muslimischen Minderheit geschärft. Doch wird sich wirklich kritisch mit Muslimen auseinandergesetzt? Oder richten sich die Argumente vielmehr gegen Migranten in Deutschland?
- Weapons of Mass Psychological Destruction and the People Who Use Them (Practical and Applied Psychology)
- Russia's Homegrown Insurgency: Jihad in the North Caucasus - Salafi Islamist Terrorism Challenge, Caucasus Emirate (CE), Chechen Insurgency, Putin Policy, Ethnic Circassian and Akhaz fighters
- Power, National Security, and Transformational Global Events: Challenges Confronting America, China, and Iran
- Schmoozing with Terrorists: From Hollywood to the Holy Land, Jihadists Reveal Their Global Plans-to a Jew!
- Unconventional Weapons and International Terrorism: Challenges and New Approaches (Political Violence)
- Policing Global Movement: Tourism, Migration, Human Trafficking, and Terrorism (International Police Executive Symposium Co-Publications)
Extra info for Another Fine Mess: America, Uganda, and the War on Terror
Another Fine Mess: America, Uganda, and the War on Terror by Helen Epstein